Monday, April 28, 2008

A shark angel's bio

This is really all about the sharks, but a few folks have asked for my "business" bio, so here it is...

I have always been a passionate environmentalist, diver and lover of the oceans, with a special relationship to sharks. An avid diver for the past 14 years, I have logged more than 300 hours in the water with many different shark species in many different habitats. In that time, I personally witnessed the devastation of the animal I cherish, and so I have committed myself to the protection of sharks. I founded Shark Savers, a grassroots conservation organization dedicated to the preservation of sharks through awareness, education and action, with five other passionate shark saviors a year and a half ago.


(The Savers, less one, at the Celebrate Asia fair.)

In addition to co-founding Shark Savers, I founded SharkAngel Productions, to use the power of social and visual media - leveraging it to do good (rather than the usual harm) for a much mal-aligned species. I have written, produced, and directed several efforts geared around this cause, working with several global media outlets in the process. And to support these efforts, ensuring greatest possible impact, I have also designed and launched several community-based social networking and viral marketing strategies that leverage the latest technologies. I also work for the award-winning documentary, Sharkwater, spearheading outreach and marketing initiatives.


(Rob Stewart, Captain Paul Watson and I celebrate Shrkwater's win at the Genesis awards.)


And, I am a Shark Angel – one of three shark conservationist women in the world that are leading a movement to build awareness, take down the forces threatening sharks, and save these magnificent creatures.


(The Shark Angels... a team born in passion.)


A lifelong entrepreneur, I am channeling over 14 years of professional experience in advertising, business strategy, marketing, public relations, web technologies, and business development, into a mission to save the oceans, starting with sharks. Having built several businesses from the ground up, with upwards of 40 employees and $7 million in yearly revenue in a few years time, I tend to bring a unique perspective and deep experience to the cause. In fact, I have developed strategies and managed multi-million dollar marketing initiatives for clients that include AOL, Porsche, Citibank, Volkswagen, Chase, and Mercedes-Benz, and now, apply that expertise to the business of saving the creatures that desperately need our help. In doing so, I think I have probably taken on the hardest PR job on the planet.


(Working on the sharks' bad rap with the Shark Week team!)


For more of the interesting stuff and less business stuff about me...

No comments: